Job Title: Paediatric Nurse
To accompany families with children and young people with life limiting or life threatening conditions during the child or young person’s journey through life to death. Creating positive experiences along the way, which become good memories for the future. The post holder will be required to provide care across a range of settings in Bayt Abdullah and in the community. The post holder will work in collaboration with other services providing holistic care and support for the child and family
- To provide the highest standard of paediatric palliative care nursing for children, young people and families.
- To plan, assess, implement and evaluate programs of care for individual children and to supervise other staff in this activity.
- To ensure an ongoing welcoming, caring and safe environment is provided for the children and their families.
- To act as an advocate for the child and family and always safeguard their best interests providing them with information and support and directing them to the relevant support services where appropriate.
- To develop and maintain clinical skills and knowledge in paediatric palliative care necessary to provide holistic, evidence based nursing care. This includes completion of the BACCH clinical skills competency framework and expanded role responsibilities, following appropriate training and competency assessment. Ensuring that individual clinical practice is based on peer review and best practice at all times.
- Promote health and comfort and maintain privacy and dignity to promote quality of life.To have a responsibility, awareness and duty to conform to BACCH infection control procedures to ensure that the infection risk is minimized for children, young people, families, staff and visitors.
- Co-operate fuly in controlling healthcare related infection, including carrying out housekeeping tasks as necessary for example making childs bed, cleaning toys after child has played with it.
- To provide telephone advice to families and to act as a resource for other professionals as necessary.
- To participate in discharge planning and in liaising with other professionals involved in the care of the child or young person.
- To ensure that children’s nutritional needs are met.
- To develop play and recreational activities with the assistance of the Family Support Team and to provide appropriate stimulation for the children and young people.
- Assist with education and training with families
- Have the ability to effectively communicate complex and sensitive information to children, young people and other members of the multi disciplinary team, overcoming any barriers to understanding and being able to provide support during distressing or emotional events.
- Record and report any compliments or complaints.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
- EDUCATION: Registered Nurse relevant to area of practice, Assessing & Mentoring qualification
- Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a Nurse
- EXPERIENCE: Demonstrable previous experience as a children’s nurse in an acute setting
- Experience of having worked with acute/chronically sick children
- Previous experience in the relevant specialty
- Previous ward management experience
- Ability and willingness to work towards care of children with tracheostomies, ventilator dependent children, children on syringe drivers, children receiving parental nutrition, complex symptom management plans, children with central lines.
Understanding and the benefits of play.
Play Workers / Leaders
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or diploma in child care to include child development
- Experience of working with children is essential in particular if it has been in the hospital, hospice, daycare or school setting.
- A qualification in psychology would be desirable.
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of professional experience.
- Basic computer skills, specifically in Microsoft Office programs.
Good language command of Arabic & English (both written & spoken).
Volunteer Services Co-ordinator
The Volunteer Services Co-ordinator is responsible for supporting Hospice departments in ensuring volunteering meets the needs of BACCH staff in achieving the organisation’s strategic aims.A key element is to attract, develop and retain skilled and experienced volunteers by making volunteering a rewarding and valued experience, creating and maintaining a culture where staff work closely and positively with volunteers at all levels, recognizing their skills and contributions.
- To administer the recruitment of volunteers including initial discussions, requests for references, booking interviews and communicating with staff.
- To ensure that prospective volunteers provide the required background information in line with Volunteer Services processes, including Civil ID, emergency contacts etc.
- To arrange and take part in interviews for prospective volunteers and to facilitate the interview process, the reservation of interview rooms.
- To support the development of structures, systems, procedures and policies to support volunteering, administering evaluations and feedback and making any agreed changes.
- To offer consistent and appropriate support to volunteers, recognizing when to refer to departmental staff and your line manager.
- To respond to ad-hoc requests for volunteer support both in advance or immediate, by contacting volunteers and making the necessary arrangements
- To support the operational management of corporate and/or school groups wishing to give their time to BACCH, collaborating with relevant staff to create successful volunteering opportunities.
- To proactively engage with the community and to represent BACCH at Charity events e.g. Kuwait Cancer Centre Day.
- To maintain the volunteer database with up to date and relevant information, ensuring all volunteer systems comply with the processes and procedures in place.
- To create and produce reports as necessary, to enable effective management of the volunteer resource and forward planning to meet the needs of future developments.
- To ensure that effective communication systems exist by dealing efficiently with all enquiries, taking and relaying messages promptly.
- To work in a cost effective and patient focused, supportive way.
- To promote BACCH and its services to the community.
- Manage and continuously develop your own and others’ capacity for managing volunteers effectively.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade of post.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor Degree.
- Demonstrable experience of maintaining a professional approach in a complex environment
- Ability to communicate and consistently implement new and existing policies and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication, negotiation and persuasive skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and make decisions in the best interest of the organisation
- Computer skills: Word processing, database, E-mail and excel – intermediate level
- Good team player
- Organisational and time management skills
- Flexible, responsive to changing priorities
- Mature and diplomatic approach
Please use our online employment application form to submit your details and CV